Patch 3.3.5 Arrives on PTR
What is set to be the final raid content patch of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack; the Ruby Sanctum (patch 3.3.5) has just hit the PTRs. The source of these changes can be found here but I’ll run through what else we know about the raid instance.
- It’s located underneath Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight
- It features both 10 and 25 man variations and normal and heroic difficulties
- There is one “main boss” and three “sub-bosses” (in this cases lieutenants), much like the format for the Obsidian Sanctum
- The main boss is called Halion (The Twilight Destroyer)
- The lieutenants are Baltharus (The Warborn), Saviana Ragefire and General Zarithrian
- Each lieutenant will drop an Emblem of Frost
- Activation of the hard mode is unconfirmed, though it won’t be a +1, +2, +3 mechanism as utilised for Sartharian
- Some items will be on par with Lich King drops (think in the same way as Onyxia drops were on par with Trial of the Crusader
- While the patch is intended to provide additional raid content while we await the expansion. It’s also the start of the lore leading to Cataclysm
- A blue post confirmed that new trinkets will drop here, much like they did in Obsidian Sanctum
(Image courtesy of mmo-champion.com)
The above show the models for the boss and his lieutenants. These were data mined by mmo-champion months ago when some files first appeared on the PTRs.
In addition to the launch of Ruby Sanctum, there are also some interface changes going live along with the introduction of the Real ID system. The interface changes are improvements to the chat system and are as follows:-
Players can now right-click on any chat type (whisper, trade, general, party, raid, etc.) and choose the “Pop Out Chat” option. This will move that chat type to a separate tab in the chat frame which can be undocked and moved anywhere on the screen.
Using the “Pop Out Chat” option on a whisper will place the conversation with that player in a separate tab.
Any time a conversation with another player is put into its own tab, the tab will glow when a new message is received.
Hovering over the chat frame and using the mouse wheel will allow players to scroll through chat text.
Players can select “Classic Mode” under “Interface Options” to keep the chat frame functionality closer to what it was prior to patch 3.3.5.
The Simple Chat User Interface option has been removed.
A new icon has been added to the top left of the chat frame which will open up the friends list.
Personally, I believe these are great changes. Once again, Blizzard have taken features from commonly used addons to improve the default UI. There are a number of chat addons that have been adding exactly this type of functionalities for a long time. Being able to reduce the amount of addons we run with is always a good thing in regards to the performance of the game.
In addition to the above chat changes, Real ID will also launch with this patch.
- The friends list will now allow players to add battle.net accounts, otherwise known as Real IDs.
- Players will need to confirm that they are friends for this connection to be made (unlike the friends list in game)
- Real ID friends can communicate across different games, across factions and across realms
A new tab has been added to the UI where players can see all pending Real ID requests. Here you can decline, accept, report spam or block the other player entirely
A broadcast window features at the top of the frame. This allows you to broadcast a status to all Real ID friends. At present, these will be: available, away or busy. This status will be displayed under your Real ID contact information
- Real ID friends will be displayed by the player’s real name
- Real ID friends will be able to see all their friends characters both present and future. This eradicates the need to remember all your friends alt characters.
I know many players are meeting this particular change with scepticism due to privacy concerns. Real ID friends will be able to see your real name (and obviously, this discloses gender also.) Personally I love these changes. As someone who has friends on many servers and both factions, I welcome the chance to be able to chat to them without tabbing out to message them on MSN. Equally I won’t run the risk of missing an unannounced WoW raid because I’m playing SC2 or vice versa.
Finally, on the theme of Starcraft II, MMO-Champion created a small movie of the in game animations for the Thor vanity pet. This is the in game pet for the players who purchase the collectors edition of Starcraft II.
Image courtesy of mmo-champion.com)
You can see him in action here. I’m rather unsure what to think of this. I love the pet and I think his animation in game is great. Does he fit in with the lore of WoW? No, not really. However, as both a pet collector and a Starcraft II fan, I certainly couldn’t resist him.
Now onto a couple of points regarding the Cataclysm Alpha. In order to correct any confusion with my last update, I want to stress that the NDA is still very much in place on the alpha. The client was leaked onto torrents and can be run in a sandbox version. This doesn’t mean the NDA is lifted and discussing leaked information on the official forums will get you banned. There was some debate regarding some images released on MMO-Champion (and I featured them here) and specifically as to whether they could be the models for the goblin totems.
That is indeed what they are and in my opinion they look amazing! I sincerely hope Blizzard consider taking a look at the older totem models in light of this amazing goblin set otherwise I predict a lot of shaman’s out there with totem envy (myself included).
On a final note, we’re creeping to that time of year where attendance and play hours slumps massively. It’s already affecting my own guild as students have hit exam time. For those of us who still enjoy playing during the summer months but are frequently faced with drastically reduced raiding hours, completing some achievements can be an excellent way to pass time. I’m going to be releasing my own guide to the infamous feat of strength, Insane in the Membrane. Look out for that soon!